A Week in Tanjong Pagar

POSTED ON: Saturday, December 20, 2014 @ 2:20 PM | 0 comments

While working in my little shophouse office along Tanjong Pagar Road for the month of December, I've decided to bring you guys a mini compilation of my weekday lunches in the area. Aside from all the overhyped places nearby like Maxwell Road food centre and the ramen restaurants (that have also been sprouting out all over Singapore), here are a few nice places I discovered during my lunch hour this week (: 

MONDAY
Monday's lunch was at Pho Stop. A large comforting bowl of pho, with their amazingly flavourful soup stock. I like how they served the vegetables and other condiments on an accompanying plate, so I could add whatever I liked in my desired amount and leave whatever I disliked (i.e. vegetables) on the plate. Don't forget to add a teeny bit of chilli and squeeze in some lime to enhance the taste! 


I was delighted by the generous portion of meat too! Most restaurants only throw in a few small pieces of meat, which is really sad. 

I also ordered chicken wings to takeaway (tea time office snack!). The service staff was really nice and thoughtful to suggest that I let him know when I'm about to leave. This was so that the chefs in the kitchen can start frying my chicken wings when I'm done with my lunch in the restaurant, instead of frying them upon my order and leaving them to get cold and soggy in the plastic takeaway box.  


They also offer quite an interesting selection of ice cream flavours at their counter. Flavours like thai tea, Vietnamese coffee, coconut, honey cinnamon, coconut, salted caramel, and a few others. It's on my list of things to eat before I leave my office at the end of December! 

Oh and they even have a rooftop bar which I didn't even know about until I came back to Google their restaurant!


Pho Stop
72 Tanjong Pagar Road
Singapore 088493


TUESDAY
My initial plan was to visit Drury Lane on Tuesday but I only realized that they were closed on Tuesdays after peeking into their shop. So Quarter to Three it was.

It was a cold and rainy day, so a thick warm bowl of Lobster Bisque ($7.90) with some Foccacia ($2.20) made my tummy very happy. Pity there wasn't any olive oil to go with the bread or that would have been heavenly. But I loved the subtle tinge of herbs in the bread which went pretty well with the creamy soup anyway!


Quarter to Three had such a huge array of desserts to choose from, I stood at the counter for ages trying to pick one. I wished I had five stomachs and a sky-high metabolism rate so I could eat everything and not grow fat. Anyway, I picked the lemon cake with pink cherry frosting ($8.90). Soft fluffy cake with a hint of lemon, assembled with pretty light pink cherry frosting. Not too sweet, and mini sugared hearts for decoration! It was worth the money since the slice of cake was quite big, but RIP to all the calories I'm taking in. 


Overall, a nice cosy little cafe. Especially in the late afternoons when the lunch crowd has dispersed.


Quarter to Three
88 Tanjong Pagar Road
Singapore 088509

WEDNESDAY
Somehow, midweeks are the most difficult to get through and I was kinda upset and frustrated over nothing at all. Strange but true, desserts obviously work best for such complicated emotions.

Wandered into 5 The Moments Cafe. The nice lady behind the counter made my experience at the shop a little better by recommending me ice cream flavours to go with my waffles, and giving me mini scoops to taste test without me even asking to try them. I went with her recommendation of pistachio ice cream (she says that the creamy ones goes best with waffles).


Yes, waffles and a huge scoop of pistachio ice cream ($10.80) for lunch. 5 The Moments Cafe is also a film photography shop that displays their works around the cafe too. I like how their ice cream display can be seen at the shop front. Ice cream definitely attracts customers, no? 

Someone behind the cafe's Instagram account totally made my day. 



5 The Moments
73 Tanjong Pagar Road
Singapore 088494

THURSDAY 
Drury Lane on Thursday because it was closed on Tuesdays. Hurray to all-day breakfast. I ordered The Big 94 ($14.00), which comes with a sausage, two slices of toast, turkey ham, tomato puree, sautéed mushrooms, and a choice of either scrambled eggs or sunny side up. The food was up to my expectations, and the desserts in the display looked super tempting. I would have tried the desserts if I wasn't limited by my dieting quota of two desserts a week.


A bright red shop front you definitely won't be able to miss. The first level seating area gives you a nice view of the road outside over a relaxing cuppa, but the high bar stools and tables aren't very comfortable in my opinion and I'm unsure if the smell of food cooking in the kitchen makes you more hungry or simply turns you off. I think the second level is better if you're looking for a quiet corner to isolate yourself from the hustle and bustle of the town area.


Drury Lane
94 Tanjong Pagar Road
Singapore 088515


FRIDAY 
No lunch today because TGIF and it's half day for me! But at dinner time, I'm still back anyway. Superstar K BBQ was a great dinner treat from an old PS colleague and his friend. Unsurprising that I didn't take any photos of my own since I was too happy to see an old friend and too excited over yummy free dinner.

Service was exceptional considering Superstar K being an affordable little Korean BBQ restaurant along a row of shophouses. The staff greets you upon entering the shop and shows you to your table, helping you with your bags and other belongings to be placed INSIDE the seats. Yes you read that right, INSIDE the seats. I was rather amused by the storage space in each chair and it's a really good idea to keep your possessions away from the grill and oil splatters.

cr: thebondingtool.com

We ordered three meat dishes, steamed egg (which I thought looked like a funny overflowing mountain but tasted surprisingly good), and kimchi soup. Complimentary side dishes like kimchi, beansprouts, fried anchovies and others were served too. 

Super attentive staff cooked our food for us and cutting them up into bite sized pieces. I found it unbelievable how they could pay attention to every table and made sure everyone's food was well-cooked but not overcooked. It would be funny if they left out one table and the food was left on the grill and becomes charred. 

 cr: noobguidance.blogspot.com

Three of us spent around $80. A place I would recommend, but do go early or happy queuing to you! 

Superstar K Korean BBQ Restaurant
75 Tanjong Pagar Road
Singapore 088496


Try them out for yourselves won't you?
Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! (:


Love,
Lorraine



← Older / ♥ back up ♥ / Newer →
@StrangersLovers