8 Things I Will Miss About Stockholm

POSTED ON: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 @ 4:49 AM | 0 comments


Sent my exchange buddies off on Thursday. Teary eyed, sniffling and whatnot, it was such a horrid feeling. Why do all good things have to come to an end? And after about 20 hours or so of flying around the globe, my dear exchange buddies are back home in Singapore, safe and sound. It'll be my turn soon too. Leaving Stockholm this coming Friday, and will be back in Singapore in less than a month's time.

5 months in Stockholm passed in a flash. It's kind of depressing to think about leaving lovely Europe and having to return to Singapore (and of course the highly dreaded SMU). So before I leave Stockholm for good, here is a list of 8 things that I will miss about Stockholm. Gonna enjoy and appreciate all of these for the last time now... )':

#1 Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Singapore is just hot and humid all year round. Here in Stockholm, I could experience three seasons all within half a year. When we arrived in January, it was winter and everything was covered in fluffy white snow. Spring was still cold and wet and a little gloomy. But in a flash, summer was here and all the trees and flowers seemed to have bloomed overnight. Really a beautiful sight to see the landscape and scenery change from season to season. Probably one of the things I will miss most about Stockholm. Dreading the hot and humid weather in Singapore as I am typing this... :/

The view from my Lappis room window in winter and in summer. 


#2 Clean & Green
Stockholm is such a clean city you can feel it in the air you breathe. I usually have sinus problems back in Singapore so there are many things that I have to eat less of (e.g. dairy products, chicken, chocolates) so that my sinus condition wouldn't worsen. But here, I can eat anything I want and still breathe perfectly! The air is so so so clean. Swedish are also really serious about recycling and all. Where we live, every kitchen has different trash bags for us to sort out our rubbish before we bring them downstairs and dispose them in the different bins. Only 1% of wastes go to the rubbish dump can you believe that?!

#3 The Transport System
Fast, efficient, not crowded, and convenient. Did I mention we get unlimited rides on the trains, buses and trams with the SL card? And yes, I so love the part where public transport isn't crowded like those in Singapore. Back in Singapore, I have to squeeze and push just to get on a train or bus. Not to mention endure being squashed by other commuters next to me. Here in Stockholm, I can saunter into the train and even choose where I would like to sit.

#4 Wifi/3G
Internet access is never a problem here in Stockholm. My comviq 3G plan has great coverage all over Sweden (not just in Stockholm alone), and it works even underground (like when I'm in the train and such). Wifi is also widely available at cafes, restaurants and the convenience stores Presbyrån. Singapore is so small yet we can't enjoy stable and fast internet connection around the island ):

#5 21 Inhabitants /sq km
The population density here is just right IMO. No squeezing on public transports, no traffic jams, no super long queues at restaurants or supermarkets, no overcrowded streets. I wish Singapore was the same too, but unfortunately we have a population density of 7669 /sq km. When I saw these statistics, I was like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME"?! People people everywhere~

#6 Music
Almost all my favourite DJs are from Sweden. And of course Spotify is from Sweden too. Being the No.1 exporter of music per GDP, good music is everywhere in Stockholm! Shops, bars, clubs all play good music. Even the bus drivers play good music on the bus! Got to know a couple of budding DJs and producers and oh my do they have potential. Love seeing the passion for music in them (:
P.S. I think guys who can play any instrument or write compositions are super sexy.

Size In The Park #SITP and Göta Källare for after partaye~

#7 20 Hours of Sunlight
The sun rises extremely early (like 2am?) and sets super late (like 11pm?) in summer. The days are so long and it's such a wonderful feeling because you feel like you have so much more time to enjoy each and every day. We could sit around outdoors till late at night since the sky never seems to get dark and so it's never time to go home. It's also great to see the sky slowly lighting up when we head home after partying till 3am (it's not so scary to go home at such unearthly hours too). Long days are perfect for travelling too. The only problem is that these long days only happen in summer. In winter and early spring, the days are super short. I remember when I first arrived in Stockholm in January, the sky starts to get dark at around 3pm. Well, I LOVE STOCKHOLM'S SUMMER!

#8 My Exchange Buddies + Lappis Neighbours
Of course my exchange experience wouldn't be complete without my exchange buddies, my P21 neighbours, SU/KTH classmates, and all the other random friends I've met here. I can't imagine how terribly depressed I would be without all these lovely people I've met. Travelling with Blanche and Grace to Finland, with Robin to Denmark and Germany, with Grace to France and Switzerland, and having all of them here with me in Stockholm, is probably more than I could ever ask for. Am struggling to survive my last week in Stockholm without my exchange buddies. Really really thankful to have super awesome neighbours at P21 too. Every single one of them are all so nice and friendly. No drama, no trouble, just plain awesomeness. Gonna miss all these people so so much... Funny how I've been dreaming about my neighbours and all of us doing silly things together during my last few nights in Stockholm.

My beloved exchange buddies...

So yeap, goodbye Stockholm thanks for the memories~ (':


Love,
Lorraine

← Older / ♥ back up ♥ / Newer →
@StrangersLovers