Linköping

POSTED ON: Thursday, March 27, 2014 @ 4:29 PM | 0 comments

Took a 2 hour train ride to Linköping over the weekends (Stockholm C to Linköping C). It was a very last minute decision. Our train was on Saturday morning at around 8 plus in the morning, and I only decided on the trip on Friday evening and booked my tickets the night before. Guess I was not in a clear state of mind that evening and I would probably have never done so if my brain/emotions were working properly. So off I go on an early Saturday morning to Stockholm Central Station for a good breakfast while waiting for our train to Linköping. 

Here's a photo of my breakfast: Ham & cheese sandwich, a latte, and a banana from Barista at Stockholm Central Station. 

We stayed at a friend's place at Ryd Centrum which was a short bus ride from Linköping C. Our first stop was the downtown of Linköping, a lovely place with small streets and many little shops. Linköping in general was a lot quieter than Stockholm, more like a little town instead of a city, which was a great place for a short weekend getaway.

First semla in Sweden! I think this one is voted as one of the best from Linköping! (: 

According to our host, this cathedral is a landmark of the town. I haven't visited many cathedrals or churches since I don't belong these religions but I've always admired the architecture and this grand aura about the building. 

The weather was great while we were there over the weekend, and yes I love the quiet streets.

We headed to Gamla Linköping next, an old area preserved for it's unique small town Swedish life. It has wooden houses, cute little cobblestone alleyways, gardens, museums and quite a number of quaint craft stores (quite like the ones in Haji Lane in Singapore).

Behind Gamla Linköping was a huge farm (compared to the one behind Campus Lappis in Stockholm). Many barn houses like the one pictured below and amazingly large fields for animals to roam around. We didn't manage to catch any animals while we were there but our host told us that we could ride the horses and get to see all the farm animals in late Spring and in Summer!

Check out the huge fields! Imagine all the animals running around in summer~!

Oh boy, is that a hint of spring I see?? ^^

Our lovely host cooked us a sumptuous dinner that night. Thank you Vanessa Yong! (: 

On Sunday, our host managed to find us a bicycle each so we could explore Linköping on our bikes! Bikes here in Scandinavia are quite different from the ones I used to cycle back in Singapore. The bikes here are a lot bigger and heavier, probably made to withstand the cold and the road full of rocky pebbles. So the bike I borrowed was so high that my feet couldn't even touch the ground even when the seat was lowered to the maximum. But the most scary thing is that the bikes do not have handbrakes! How on earth do I stop a bike without handbrakes?! Well it turns out that you would have to pedal backwards for the bicycle to stop, which is really counter-intuitive for me... So every time I need to stop (especially when we come to a traffic light junction), I would be panicking and shrieking and swerve onto a nearby grass patch since I could never stop in time. It's really strange because handbrakes are so much easier to use I don't know why they don't have it on their bikes. Anybody knows the reason?

Anyway, we cycled from Ryd Centrum to the Airplane Museum. They have a collection of mostly military aircrafts used by Sweden. The two pictured below are my favourites out of the whole exhibition. 


I really liked this cockpit simulator too! Although I crashed my plane into the sea... :/

We headed back to downtown again for some last minute shopping (chocolate-grabbing) before catching the train back to Stockholm. Lesson learnt from looking for our train platforms on the boards: watch whether the trains are ARRIVING or DEPARTING. We stood in front of the boards for ages and wondering why our train was not on the list. Thank goodness a helpful couple pointed us to the correct board. 

Yes that's all for now. Linköping really is a nice place for a short weekend getaway if you're here in Sweden. If you need more details on any of the places I've visited or any other information at all, do feel free to leave a comment on the comments page or drop me an email. I'll be more than glad to help you out! (Paying all the kindness I've received on exchange forward~)


Love,
Lorraine  



← Older / ♥ back up ♥ / Newer →
@StrangersLovers